History of the Friends
The Friends of the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA, Inc. was established on 10 December 1986, creating a non-profit corporation under the laws of the State of North Carolina and granted exemption from Federal Income Tax under the IRS code section 501(c )(3) on 18 March 1987.
According to the bylaws: The object of the Friends is to support the activities of the Museum Department of the USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial and to promote and perpetuate other activities relating to the Battleship Memorial.
The Friends of the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA are proud to support the Museum Department with funding to assist, promote and perpetuate educational and restoration efforts of the Ship.
Completed projects funded by the Friends include:
Restoration of the 26-foot Motor Whaleboat
Custom models of the Ironclad, Armored Cruiser and Submarine NORTH CAROLINA and display cases
Exhibit banners of the Ships named NORTH CAROLINA
Conservation of an Iwo Jima relief map
Acquisition and conservation of the 1827 watercolor of the Ship of the Line NORTH CAROLINA
Display case and video monitor for the Legacy of the NORTH CAROLINA exhibit