Welcome aboard “Showboat,” USS NORTH CAROLINA, BB55, the most highly decorated American battleship of World War II.
In this podcast, we’ll discover the stories of an extraordinary ship that steamed into history, what makes her tick, what keeps her going, and her vital contributions today.
Search for “Showboat” to find us on your favorite podcast app, including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and more. Don’t see us on your app? Let us know.
About Episode 1
A brief history of the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA and how the Ship was saved through a statewide grassroots campaign. We will also explore how the Battleship earned the name “Showboat.”
- “The Fairest of the Fair,” The United States Navy Band, navyband.navy.mil
- “Triumphant Return” Music by Jason Shaw on Audionautix.com
- “Opus One” Music by Jason Shaw on Audionautix.com
- “Conclusion” by scottholmesmusic.com
- “Awake” by scottholmesmusic.com
- “Forces of Attraction” by scottholmesmusic.com
- “Remember the Heroes” Music by Jason Shaw on Audionautix.com
About Episode 2
What does it take to maintain a 729-foot long, 45,000-ton vessel every day? What are the challenges? How are major repairs managed? In this episode we discover how Showboat is kept in “ship shape” condition for another generation of visitors.
Support for this podcast
In 2020, the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA received a NORTH CAROLINA CARES: Humanities Relief Grant from the North Carolina Humanities Council, www.nchumanities.org.
Funding for NCCARES has been provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act economic stabilization plan.